Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Something is Fishy in local Law Enforcement. "Aquaman and his Sea Police" Adventure Comics #264



This may be one of my all-time favorite Aquaman stories.

It seems the recently flooded (and totally made up) city of New Venice is having some trouble with keeping law and order in its streets, er, canals. So, they call for good ol' Aquaman to come and keep the peace. I guess it was cheaper than buying a couple of boats for the New Venice PD.

Aquaman knows just what to do. He brings in a posse of his finny fins from the briny deep and in no time, they're using their aquatic antics to stop speeders, litter bugs, pickpockets and even a bunch of yahoos fishing out of season.


This has GOT to be a violation of these men's constitutional rights!

What grabs me most about this story, is the wonderful setting. New Venice seems like an ideal locale for Aquaman. He can interact easily with people and still get back to water every hour. He can fight crime in the city and still patrol the seas. There was a brief (read as: ONE issue) attempt in the 70's to take him back to New Venice, but it was never picked up. If I were writing a monthly Aquaman comic (and God willing, someday I will) I would totally set it in New Venice. But then, like most fanboys, I have a whole agenda of things I would do "IF".

As always, the brilliant artwork by Ramona Fradon is some of the best of it's age.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta love Aquaman's hat and badge. It kind of clashes with the orange and green attire, but we'll forgive him for that faux pas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared: I think they really-well- missed the boat by not having his badge be a live starfish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is genius Aaron! A starfish would have been great!

    ReplyDelete