Thursday, May 6, 2010

Not-So-Secret Origins of the JLA - The Atom





Some more reader- requested material. I didn't have this story in my collection (although I have read it several times) but one of our readers, Neill, stepped up to plate and offered me these scans.

The Atom joined the JLA in Justice League of America #14, making him the second super-powered League-er to join.

There had been a Golden Age Atom, a small guy named Al Pratt who had no superpowers. He was just feisty. This new Atom, however, was a little more "super".

And here, from 1961's Showcase #34 "Birth of the Atom" by Gardner Fox, pencils by Gil Kane and inks by Murphy Anderson.











4 comments:

  1. You gotta love Kane. I'll be posting this bad boy myself over at you-know-where before too long! -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Kane especially with Murphy Anderson. Klaus Janson's inks in the 70's were wonderful as well.

    Neill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mykal: I do love Kane. But nobody loves Kane like Mykal Banta. If you cats want to see more Gil Kane, visit Mykal's "Kingdom Kane" at:

    http://www.kingdomkane.com/

    Mykal's had me taking a second look at Kane lately. And this on top of showing me the wonders of Russ Heath. It's like great art overload.

    Anonymous: Anderson was pretty great. I like his run on Hawkman. No offense to Joe Kubert, I just prefer Joe's look on war/western/caveman/viking books and Anderson's smoother finish on superheroes. I like Janson, but I'm more familiar with his later, scratchy, thick/thin 80's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I humbly suggest: Giant Size Defenders #2 (my favorite Kane/Janson example), and Daredevil #147, 148 and 151. Get 149, 150, and 152 if you want to see Janson on Infantino action.

    Neill

    ReplyDelete